3 tablespoons oil
½ teaspoon black mustard seeds
½ onion, finely chopped
2 potatoes, cut into ¾-inch cubes
¼ teaspoon ground tumeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 ½ teaspoons garam marsala
4 tomatoes, chopped (or substitute 8 – 12 oz preserved whole tomatoes)
1 large romanesco, cut into florets
3/4–inch piece of ginger, grated
1 teaspoon sweetener
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed frying pan over low heat. Add the mustard seeds, cover the pan and wait for the seeds to pop. Add the onion and potato and fry until lightly browned.
- Add the tumeric, cumin, coriander, and garam marsala to the pan and cook for a couple of seconds.
- Add the tomato and stir until the spices are well mixed. Add the romanesco florets and stir until thoroughly coated.
- Stir in the ginger, sweetener, and ½ cup water, increase the heat to medium and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Uncover pan and if the sauce is too runny, simmer, uncovered, for 1 – 2 minutes before serving.