A traditional side dish for roast pork, beef, or chicken.
2 bunches washed kale, stemmed, leaves cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups chicken stock or stock of choice
4 medium potatoes, quartered
1 stalk celery, chopped
Sour cream or plain yogurt for garnish (optional)
1. Blanch kale leaves in lightly salted water for 1 minute. Remove from water and set aside.
2. Saute the garlic and onions in a skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat until lightly browned.
3. Add the stock, potatoes, celery, and blanched kale.
4. Simmer together until potatoes fall apart and lose their shape.
5. Stir; season with salt and pepper, garnish with sour cream or yogurt and serve.