1½ cups dried chickpeas
4 cloves garlic, 2 unpeeled and 2 peeled and minced
1 fresh rosemary sprig
6-7 cups water or stock of choice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
1 teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
Coarsely ground black pepper
1. Rinse chickpeas and remove any stones. Place in a bowl with 2 whole garlic cloves and rosemary and cover with 2 ½ cups cold water and soak overnight.
2. Rinse soaked chickpeas and pour into a medium saucepan with the garlic and rosemary; add 3 cups of water. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until chickpeas are tender, adding water in ½ cup increments as necessary to keep chickpeas just submerged, about 2 hours. Remove from heat, do not drain!
3. Remove garlic cloves and let cool slightly, then squeeze pulp from skin and stir into chickpeas. Discard rosemary sprig.
4. Hear oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat. Add minced garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add ¼ cup water, bring to a simmer, and cook for 4 minutes. Add cabbage and cook, stirring, just until it starts to wilt, about 1 minute. Add1 cup water and salt, bring to a simmer, and cook cabbage starts to become tender, about 10 minutes.
5. Add chickpeas and their liquid and simmer until cabbage is tender and flavors are blended, about 20 minutes more. Adjust salt if necessary. Finish with a grinding of pepper.
Makes 8 servings