This is a great comfort food. I sometimes add defrosted frozen green peas for a zap of color and a bit more nutrition!
1 head cauliflower, about 1 pound
sea salt and pepper
2 tablespoon minced green garlic
¼ cup olive oil
1 lb penne, fusilli, or pasta of choice
1 cup coarse bread crumbs
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Trim the cauliflower and divide into florets. Add about 1 teaspoon salt to the water and boil cauliflower until just tender-crisp, not mushy! Using a slotted spoon or strainer, remove the cauliflower and set aside. When cool enough to handle, chop it roughly into pieces.
- Meanwhile, in a large deep skillet over medium-low heat, sauté garlic in olive oil, stirring occasionally, until garlic is golden. Start cooking pasta in same pot that was use for the cauliflower.
- When the garlic is ready, add the cauliflower to the skillet, and toss and turn the heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally. When the pasta is done – it should be 2-3 minutes short of the way you like it – drain, reserving about 1 cup of the liquid.
- Add pasta to skillet with the cauliflower, toss with a large spoon until they are well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste, along with just enough pasta water to keep the mixture moist but not soupy. When the mixture is hot and the pasta is tender and nicely glazed, mix in the breadcrumbs and peas (if using).
- This is even better when sprinkled with a bit of grated Asiago cheese!
3 – 4 servings