Yield: one 9-inch pie
One 9-inch pie shell of choice, unbaked
1/2 cup brown rice flour or flour of choice
1 tablespoon minced thyme
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
1/8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon white pepper (can substitute fresh cracked black pepper), to taste
1/2 cup diced celery
1 medium onion, small dice
1 leek cut into 1/2 moon slices
1 cup diced carrots (or winter squash -I like to mix them)
1 cup Romanesco cauliflower florets
1 cup Crimini mushrooms, quartered
1 cup peas, frozen and thawed or fresh
4 cups almond milk
sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prick the pie shell with a fork several times and bake for 5-10 minutes. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Whisk in flour until well combined. Add the nut milk slowly, stirring constantly. Heat mixture until it bubbles, then turn it down to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, or until sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and season with thyme, salt, and pepper according to taste.
3. In a large heavy-bottom skillet, heat the remaining oil over medium heat. Add celery, onion, and leek. Saute for 5 minutes, or until onion starts to brown. Add the carrots and cauliflower and continue cooking for several minutes. Add the mushrooms and peas and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Once the mushrooms have released their juices, turn off heat. Taste and adjust seasonings.
4. Pour the sauce over the vegetable mixture and grate in the nutmeg. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
5. Pour mixture into pre-baked pie shell and bake uncovered for 25-35 minutes, checking after 20 minutes.