These whole wheat muffins are incredibly moist. The trick is heating the carrots and raisins in water, which softens them nicely before they are added to the flour mixture.
1 ½ cups sugar of choice (I use coconut palm sugar)
¼ cup butter
1 ¼ cups shredded carrots
1 cup raisins
1 teaspoon each: sea salt, cinnamon, and ground allspice
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
¼ teaspoon cloves
2 cups whole wheat flour or flour of choice
1 teaspoon each: baking powder and baking soda
4 ounces cream cheese
1 tablespoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put sugar, butter, carrots, raisins, salt, spices, and 1 1/3 cup water in a medium saucepan. Heat over high heat, stirring occasionally, just until mixture comes to a boil.
- Whisk flours, baking powder, and baking soda together in a medium bowl. Pour in warm carrot mixture. Stir to combine. Stir to combine, but do not over mix.
- Spoon mixture in to lined muffin cups.
- Bake until browned and a toothpick comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Let cool on a rack.
- Blend cream cheese with the orange zest and serve with the muffins.