1 pound beets
1 teaspoon vinegar (sherry, red wine, or white wine)
1-2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs of choice
½ teaspoon fresh grated ginger
1 teaspoon cumin or fennel seeds (optional)
1. Wash the beets thoroughly. Put them in a baking dish with a little water (enough to cover the bottom of the dish) and sprinkle with salt. (Optional – sprinkle the beets with the cumin or fennel seeds.)
2. Cover tightly and bake in a 350 degree oven until they can be easily pierced with a sharp knife, 30-60 minutes, depending on their size. Uncover and cool.
3. Cut off the tops and roots and slip off their skins. Cut the peeled beets into small wedges or ¼-inch dice and sprinkle with vinegar of choice.
4. Let stand for a few minutes to absorb the flavor. Taste and add more salt or vinegar if needed. Stir in the herbs and ginger.
5. Toss with 1-2 teaspoons olive oil. Plate and enjoy!