These are truly outstanding! Please don’t leave out the walnuts. Add a dollop of applesauce, and with a side dish of broccolini, kale, or chard, you have very fine eating indeed!
4 raw parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
1 onion, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
2 eggs, beaten briefly
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ cup finely chopped walnuts
2 cups bread crumbs of choice
1. Steam or roast the parsnips until tender, 10 – 15 minutes for steaming, about 20 – 30 for roasting.
2. While parsnips are cooking, sauté onion in olive oil. Remove from heat, add tarragon and stir briefly to mix in.
3. Mash parsnips with potato masher or ricer. Stir sautéed onion into mashed parsnips with egg, salt, and walnuts.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. Form parsnip mixture into patties, using about 1/3 per patty. Spread out half the breadcrumbs on a greased baking sheet and place patties on crumbs. Press remaining crumbs on top. Bake for 20 minutes.
Makes 12 patties, serves 6