1 tablespoon sweet butter
4 apples, cored and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons lime juice, and pulp
¼ cup white grape juice or orange juice
1 teaspoon lime peel
1 tablespoon maple syrup
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 allspice berry, ground
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1. In a large skillet, melt butter.
2. Toss the apples with the lime juice and pulp. Add apples to the skillet and saute for 2 minutes. Then cover and simmer until slices are just tender, about 4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer apples to individual serving dishes.
3. Add grape or orange juice, lime peel, maple syrup, vanilla, allspice, and nutmeg to the skillet and bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a syrup, about 2-3 minutes.
4. Toast walnuts by heating them in a skillet, shaking constantly, until they begin to brown and are fragrant.
5. Pour over apples, sprinkle with walnuts and serve warm.
Makes 4 servings