Lean ground turkey and brown rice seasoned with fresh dill and caraway seeds makes a moist filling for these stuffed cabbage rolls. They are baked in a combination of tomato sauce, lemon juice, and honey for the familiar sweet-sour flavor typical of this dish.
1/2 cup brown rice
1 cup water
1 large cabbage
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
1 pound lean ground turkey
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups unsalted tomato sauce
1 cup chicken stock (low-sodium)
1 tablespoon honey
1. Bring rice and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until the water is absorbed, 25-30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Meanwhile, bring a Dutch oven full of water to a boil over high heat. Boil the 12 largest outer cabbage leaves for 6 minutes. Drain and rinse under cool water until room temperature. Chop enough of he remaining cabbage to equal 2 cups. (Save the rest for another use.)
3. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and chopped cabbage. Cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic; cook, stirring, another 30 seconds. Add 4 tablespoons lemon juice and cook, stirring, until the liquid has almost evaporated. Let cool 10 minutes.
4. Mix turkey, dill, caraway, salt, pepper, and cooled onion mixture in a large bowl.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9-by-13 inch pan with oil.
6. Lay one of the cabbage leaves on your work surface; cut out the thick stem. Place about 1/3 cup of the turkey mixture in the leaf’s center. Fold the sides over the filing, then roll closed. Place seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining cabbage leaves and filling. Whisk tomato sauce, broth, honey, and remaining lemon juice in a medium bowl. Pour evenly over the cabbage rolls. Cover tightly with parchment paper then aluminum foil.
7. Bake cabbage rolls for 1 hour. Uncover and continue baking, basting the rolls with the sauce several times, for 20 minutes more.