½ French baguette or long Italian loaf, torn into 1-inch pieces
1 bunch kale, stems removed
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
3 dried arbol chilies
3 anchovy fillets
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Place bread on a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
3. Tear kale into small pieces and place in a large bowl. Toss with the toasted bread and salt.
4. Combine 2 tablespoons oil and garlic in a large skillet and cook over medium-low heat until the garlic takes on some color, about 1 minute. Add the chilies and cook until lightly toasted, about 30 seconds.
5. Remove pan from heat, add anchovies, and stir with a wooden spoon to break up anchovies and garlic. Add remaining ¼ cup olive oil and vinegar to the pan, return to medium-low heat and bring to a simmer.
6. Remove dressing from heat and pour over the kale and toasted bread; toss well. Place pan over high heat and using tongs, grab a bunch of kale and wipe the pan with leaves until they start to wilt, about 30 seconds. Toss wilted kale back into the bowl and mix it around a bit; repeat 3-4 times until most of the kale is warm and wilted. Remove chilies and serve immediately.